Like many of life’s decisions, this one can cause sleepless nights. The financial bottom line is as significant as your willingness for change. How do you make the determination to remodel instead of moving?
Location, Location, Location!
● Are you in an appealing location with friendly neighbors? ● Are you close to everyday conveniences? ● Would you love your home if it just had a little more space or updated appearance? ● Are the views from your home already stunning? ● Is your home sitting on a beautiful lot?
If you answered yes these questions, then why leave? Those reasons alone could justify a remodel, and most homes can handle a renovation or addition. Remodeling will allow you to maintain your connections while adding square footage. Zoning regulations may be your only restriction. But, as a builder, we are familiar with all zoning regulations and can assist you in the entire process of creating a new plan that satisfies all needs.
Your Home's Character
● What about your home attracted you in the first place? ● Are you emotionally attached to your home? ● Does your home have a special “feel”? ● Would it be impossible to recreate the atmosphere in another location?
Distinctive architecture, vintage-building materials, and exclusive views cannot be recreated. When you already love so much about your home, making adjustments that will increase or update your space is the right decision. A plan that is tailored to your home's character can easily match your favorite qualities, only increasing the love that you have for it.
● Does your home have good bones? ● Are you sitting on a solid foundation? ● Could known issues be resolved easily?
Not every home should be remodeled. It must have good bones. As in, it must be structurally sound. If you're not sure about the foundation and framing of your home, then a professional opinion is needed for proper evaluation of your home’s condition. Adding space, reconfiguring your floor plan and updating plumbing and electrical is all very logical when you are sitting on a solid foundation.
● Does remodeling suit your budget? ● Would remodeling save you more than the expense of relocating and moving? ● Do you have enough equity to utilize a home equity loan to pay for your remodel? ● Would updating windows, roof or mechanical systems increase energy efficiency?
Of course you need a trusted professional to provide an accurate quote and detailed contract. Consider related costs that may be involved. Temporary living arrangements will often allow your contractor to complete your remodel more swiftly and efficiently while furniture storage protects your belongings. Again, the process is going to incredibly smooth if you're working with an experienced team. The worries you have about timeline and arrangements will be much less of a burden than you might think.
Are You Up for the Experience?
● Do you have the patience to tolerate some inconvenience for a worthwhile outcome? ● Can you be flexible and adapt to change if construction uncovers any surprises? ● Do you have a builder that you can trust?
Remodeling is an exciting undertaking and proper preparation will eliminate problems. Patience and versatility are good qualities that will make the entire process more enjoyable for you. As builders we routinely expect the unexpected and are always ready to adapt. We approach every project with the understanding that this is a new experience for most homeowners and we keep it as stress free as possible.
There are countless options and decisions to consider throughout the remodeling process. Our best advice is to find a qualified professional that is able to guide you through every detailed decision for a worry free experience. If you're thinking of remodeling your home, feel free to reach out to us for help. The team at In Yarak Construction is already guiding home owners just like you through this exact same process, and we'd be more than happy to get you on the right path.